Monday, October 4, 2010

SN Sites

Facebook
Out of all these sites,  the only site I have actually used before is Facebook, and honestly I really haven't used very much of it. I think that it is a fun and entertaining way to keep in touch with friends and acquaintances that you otherwise wouldn't communicate with.
Pictures are a huge aspect of facebook (videos too but not as much). There are ways to share events and such with your friends. Games are also available, good pass time.

Myspace
First thing I notices was that myspace leaned heavily towards music, movies, and videos. Almost similar to a mini itunes.
In addition, I realized that the browse options were very specific. You can search for specific types of people; based on gender, race, relationship status, hobbies, etc. This seemed to be a bit creepy and stalkerish to me. 



Friendster

Did not seem as professional to me. I felt like it was a poorly made site. Not visually stimulating and not properly organized. Bad layout and design. 
Looks less popular, and not used as much as other sites. 
Still has all the basics - profile, friends, photos, - just added games - something that the others have always had! 
Seems to be one step behind the times. 


Twitter

Very easy to sign up - easier than friendster! 
Allows you to choose and browse interest suggestions, and choose friends - link to anyone via email, and then finally search for anyone. Makes set up very easy. 
Basically gives you 140 characters to tell all your friends what your up to. This is called a tweet. 
I personally think that is is ridiculous because why do you care who is getting a haircut and who is stuck on the train? All useless information! 

1 comment:

  1. My peer leader also very recommended us to create a face book account and this is the reason why I have a face book account. I used it often in the first two years i Baruch College to communicate with my friends and see if there are any interesting events. However, now I really don't like to use it because there are too much different function on it and I feel complicated sometimes when I log in since there will many new posts which is created by the system (eg. who do something on face book). Therefore, now I barely use face book also.

    ReplyDelete